What is the Yogi Corps?
Community Service Programs are created by motivated volunteers to bring the wisdom of yoga to their local or virtual community.
Community Service Projects are the result of YSI's scholarships program. In exchange for course tuition, Yogi Corps members plan and implement service projects that inspire change and wisdom in their community.
LADY NIGUMA MEXICO
- Who: Oli González, Mónica Torres, Fernanda Jimenez, Ekaterina Couoh
- Where: San Mateo Tlatenango, Mexico
- What: Four YSI students came together to offer yoga classes in an undeserved community on the edges of Mexico City. Yoga classes are not easily available for the people living in the town, and even less, something they can afford to pay. They started with 5 students per class and are now at 15 each week. Currently incorporating new teachers, and looking for more teachers to participate!
CHAIR YOGA FOR SENIORS
- Who: Christen Napier
- Where: Kansas, USA
- What: Free chair yoga class with the seniors in an Eldery home in Kansas has reached their 25th class. Christen holds a free yoga class to seniors in her small rural town. This class serves people with mobility issues by providing accessible asana practices and the Lady Niguma lifestyle!
IS JOINING THE YOGI CORPS RIGHT FOR ME?
What is the purpose of the Yogi Corps?
What skills do I need to join the Yogi Corps?
What is required to earn a Yogi Corps Scholarship?
How can I apply for a scholarship and join the Yogi Corps?
Are there other ways to receive a scholarship?
YOGA FOR THE ELDERLY
- Who: Irina Holub
- Where: Romania
- What: Irina is teaching yoga in a nursing home she has regularly visited for the past 5 years. She has been teaching the wisdom of the Pen, and reading chapters from Geshe Michael's books. She says that by focusing on this project and the highest goals of yoga, the more miracles she sees in her life and at the nursing home!
MUSIC FOR THE CHAKRAS
- Who: Caterina Other
- Where: Denmark
What: Caterina poses the question; "How does music relate to Yoga and the subtle body?" She has combined her love of music and yoga philosophy by creating a rendition of the Bija Seed Syllables with her nyckelharpa and lessons for her music students.